Date: 4/1/19 7:43 pm
From: Roy Harvey via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Fallout?
Katherine,

Your nuthatches and wrens are not migrating, so for them it would be just a day (or night) with bad weather.  They know how to handle that sort of thing, it is nothing unusual for them.

Small bird migrate at night when the weather is clear, especially when the wind is with them.  If conditions are bad they mostly stay put.  At the end of the night of flying they find the best habitat that is handy. A fallout is when, at some point during the night, the weather changes and the stop migrating and just head for the ground and make the best of what they can find.  It can make for a good day of birding, and they will continue whenever they are ready and conditions are good.

Those nighttime migrations can fill the air with enough birds that it shows on weather radar.  There is a fairly new web site for seeing this, http://birdcast.info/live-migration-maps/.   Set the date to 2019/03/31 and start the animation.  You will see that the entire eastern seaboard lit up that night; that is showing the migrating birds, the arrows showing the direction.  That night they start to settle down before sunrise.  On a night with bad weather they might never start, or stop early.  It has all been going on for countless generations of birds, fascinating to observe but a normal part of life for the migrants.

Roy Harvey
CTBirds admin/moderator
Beacon Falls, CT

On Monday, April 1, 2019, 8:38:15 PM EDT, Katherine Kuckens via CTBirds <ctbirds...> wrote:

Questions about "fallouts."  I just read a weather report about a powerful
nor'easter approaching CT  this week, with heavy rain and dangerous winds.
Hype aside, would such a storm be likely to have a serious impact on
migrating birds? What does it take to have a "fallout"?  Makes me wish I
could catch all my red breasted nuthatches and Carolina wrens and keep them
in a warm dry garage or basement for a few days.
Katherine Kuckens
West Hartford