Date: 3/30/19 5:24 pm
From: Robert Mirer via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Mating Red-shoulder Hawks and other stuff
Last week I posted about our local Red-shouldered Hawks courtship behavior. This afternoon I observed the pair copulating in the small patch of woods directly across the road from our house. After 7 years here I think I’ve finally narrowed down their nesting spot; not on our property, so I don’t go there.
Yesterday I observed 5 N. Ravens circling low directly over my house. Several were calling, and there were aggressive aerial displays. Don’t know if it was courtship or territorial defense. Either way, it suggests that these birds may be nesting nearby. I don’t see or hear them very often, so this may be an expansion of territory.
Juncos are singing. Second year White-throated Sparrows are practicing their songs. If they don’t improve quickly, they will be left on the sidelines at breeding time, which by my calendar is mighty soon. Hey-everyone’s a music critic.

Rob Mirer
Moodus