Date: 3/14/19 1:50 pm
From: Matthew Igleski <matt.igleski...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Lincoln Park Zoo and South Pond
I was able to make out in between rain and storms for a little bit today.
Much like everyone else's experiences I saw hundreds of robins and
blackbirds reverse migrating along the lakeshore and I had many Song
Sparrows. The lagoon between Lakeshore Drive and the zoo parking lot has
quite a few goldeneye and Red-breasted Mergansers, but there was one male
Bufflehead mixed in with them. A few FOS species for the zoo area today:
Fox Sparrow, Eastern Phoebe, Belted Kingfisher, and Field Sparrow.

Here is my total list for the day:

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis) 38
Wood Duck (Aix sponsa) 12 Flamingo Pond
American Wigeon (Mareca americana) 1 Flamingo Pond
Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos) 130
American Black Duck (Anas rubripes) 1 Swan Pond
Mallard x American Black Duck (hybrid) (Anas platyrhynchos x rubripes) 1
Swan Pond
Redhead (Aythya americana) 1 South Pond
Bufflehead (Bucephala albeola) 1 South Lagoon
Common Goldeneye (Bucephala clangula) 70 South Lagoon
Red-breasted Merganser (Mergus serrator) 38 South Lagoon
Ring-billed Gull (Larus delawarensis) 33
Herring Gull (Larus argentatus) 7 South Lagoon
Cooper's Hawk (Accipiter cooperii) 1 South Pond
Belted Kingfisher (Megaceryle alcyon) 1 South Pond
Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe) 1 South Pond
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) 4
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus) 5
American Robin (Turdus migratorius) 354
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris) 60
House Finch (Haemorhous mexicanus) 2
Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla) 1 Just outside of the zoo, west of the
flamingo pond
Dark-eyed Junco (Slate-colored) (Junco hyemalis hyemalis/carolinensis) 12
Fox Sparrow (Red) (Passerella iliaca iliaca/zaboria) 1 Plantings along
the south edge of the flamingo pond
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia) 17
Red-winged Blackbird (Red-winged) (Agelaius phoeniceus [phoeniceus Group])
175
Common Grackle (Bronzed) (Quiscalus quiscula versicolor) 44
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis) 4
House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) 115

Happy Birding!
Matt

Matt Igleski
Cook County, Chicago, IL [Lake County, IN]

IBET Administrator
Illinois Ornithological Society Board Member
http://www.illinoisbirds.org/
https://www.facebook.com/IllinoisOrnithologicalSociety/

[image: IOS_logo.jpg]

Posted by: Matthew Igleski <matt.igleski...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)