Date: 3/14/19 11:39 am
From: <khmo...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Cayuga Lake waterfowl/Sandhill Crane
While watching waterfowl at the ice edge (deep water mark at the head of
the Bay at Lake Rd) we suddenly had thousands of Snow Geese overhead
looking for a place to set. Eventually many set in among the ducks while
others were on fields off Cemetery and Seybolt Rds.

There were many Canvasback, Redhead, Goldeneye, Common and Red-breasted
Mergansers with a smattering of Ring-necked, Black, Mallard, and
Baldpate (Am. Widgeon) ducks. Two spp of Swan Tundra and Trumpeter) were
present in goodly numbers and, of course, a huge number of Canada Geese.

Five Bald Eagles were at the outer edge of the waterfowl. All youngsters
less one fourth year. They made a few clumsy attempts at spooking the
ducks but succeeded only in spooking each other. Other ducks were
present in much smaller numbers.

The highlight was found with a small clutch of Canadas directly in front
of the Park Police building. As we closed on the group, the supposed
Great Blue morphed into a lovely Sandhill Crane who obliging posed for
photos (later on FB).

Lunch at the Deerhead was disappointing. New chef, menu, higher prices
and lesser portions, quality than the old days.

--
John and Sue Gregoire
Field Ornithologists

ARCHIVES: