Date: 3/14/19 11:32 am
From: 'Dorian Huneke' <huneked...> [osbirds] <osbirds...>
Subject: RE: [osbirds] Robins and RWBs
Definitely not a mourning dove. We have tons of them around, the sound is nothing like them. Years ago Andy Mason was here walking some of my land with me and we heard this same bird call, and at the time I said Turkey, there’s a turkey. Andy said No, that’s a cuckoo. Again, this morning, when I first heard this call I said to myself Turkey. Then I paid attention to habitat and exactly where this sound was coming from, and was sure it must be a cuckoo, not a turkey. There are turkeys out at the neighbors’ field that they spread manure on. Sometimes they are in another nearby field, but this sound was much closer than that, and given that I could “see” where the sound was coming from I would have seen a turkey were it a turkey. I listened to the call on Cornell’s Lab of Ornithology, and the call they give for the black billed cuckoo is exactly what I heard. And it’s not like I heard it for a few minutes. This went on, and on, and on. For a half hour or more.

I’m near this location every day taking my dog for a walk, so I will try really hard to get a visual if I hear it again.

Dorian Huneke

Treadwell