Date: 3/14/19 9:17 am
From: Chet McGaugh <chetmcgaugh...> [inlandcountybirds] <inlandcountybirds-noreply...>
Subject: [inlandcountybirds] NESS March 13
A most excellent day at The Sea with Bob McKernan, with a hint of summer in
the air and spring migration in our eyes. 101 species.

Most exciting, of an un-RBA sort, was an intensely estimated 325
Sanderlings, a cohesive uncountable swarm in a relatively small area,
accompanied by the most Western Sandpipers, some in nice molt, that we have
seen in months. On the other hand, we typically see color on the first of
the Red Knots in the spring, the 20 or so we saw yesterday were in fully
(or very close to) basic plumage. The topography of berms, the significant
distances involved, and the continuous movements and re-shuffles make
counting birds very difficult for even the most dedicated and persistent
counter (that would be Bob).

Gulls: four Lesser Black-backed Gulls, adults at Salt Creek, one at the
SRA. Certainly some more obscure plumages are easily missed for the reasons
mentioned above. Two Glaucous-winged Gulls at Salt Creek, one adult (with
maybe a hint of Western Gull) the other in first cycle. Black-headed Gull
continues at the Kent fish farm with Bonaparte's Gulls (access = permission
is required). Almost forgot - a third cycle Yellow-footed Gull at Salt
Creek calls for a bit of photostudy.

Oh yeah, waterfowl: most cool - 17 Greater White-fronted Geese on Lincoln
ponds; they made a towering departure as we observed from the road - they
apparently have somewhere to go. The Surf Scoter at 84th Ave continues
(from January). A few Red-breasted Merganser, Common Goldeneyes, still more
Blue-winged Teals than expected and a conspicuous increase in Cinnamon
Teals is noted.

A few Neotropic Cormorants continue at the fish farm on 81st Ave, as does a
Yellow Warbler. Permission is required to bird the facility; walk in from
81st Ave and ask. Nice to see an increase in Double-crested Cormorants at
NESS.

Chet

Join us on Facebook!