Date: 3/14/19 8:23 am
From: Jim Dugan via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Candlewood Lake Common Mergansers and
3/14/19 - New Milford / Brookfield line on Candlewood Lake - 650 Common Mergansers. Birds in two similar sized groups. Most of Candlewood Lake is still ice covered but there are large open areas near Vaughn’s Neck / Orchard Point and to the west towards Chatterton Point. A week ago there was a single flock of about 400 Mergs at this location and 5 Common Goldeneye that were not associating with the Mergansers. About 15 years ago I recall a single flock of C. Mergs in this area that was in excess of 2,000 birds.

Yesterday morning my wife and I observed one of our neighborhood Red-shouldered Hawks (believed male) shimmy out towards the end of a deciduous branch, break off the end two +/- feet of another close branch and carry it back to its mate who was working on an A. Crow nest that was successful last year. We watched this happen several times. Hoping this becomes their main nest and not just a feeding platform.

The C. Ravens on the Housatonic River have been on eggs for at least ten days and we have observed the male regurgitate food to the female while she remained in the nest. I watched the female caching meat in the nest area about ten days before nesting began. I believe they had access to a deer carcass from somewhere to the south along Lake Lillinonah.

Yesterday evening I encountered 3 C. Raven at the Black Spruce Bog on Mohawk Mt along with two B-c Chickadee and one G-c Kinglet in the Hemlocks. On the 2nd, after working WPKN’s Music Mash in Bridgeport there were two C. Raven flying high around RBS building.

Jim Dugan
New Milford