Date: 3/14/19 4:38 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (13 Mar 2019) 12 Raptors

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 17:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Jerry Jeffers, Sara Busch

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (4): Jerry Jeffers, Jim Balint, Puff Busch
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Cloudy (50-75% cloud cover), Ceiling -30,000-19,800 ft., Visibility
- 10 miles, Temps 32 - 49F, Winds S @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and
numerous Black (43) and Turkey Vultures (45).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ [I just sent out the new large weekly “blog” and hotline
in a new newsletter format, still under development. If you didn’t receive
it and are a regular subscriber, look in your spam – a few servers send it
there. [go figure-lol] If you enjoy “the blog,” featuring the county
species list, and it ended up in your spam, you’ll have to mark it as “not
spam” or it will always go there.] Imagine this… I arrive at Bucktoe to
see my erstwhile hero, Jim, along sharp road collecting what he’ll claim to
be discarded drive-by litter, i.e., trash. I say it was aluminum cans for
money to get a case of beer. Ever so more exhilarating was the Eastern
Meadowlark [FOY] singing from a snag near the hawk watch, placed there for
that very purpose. Now, that’s the way to start the day! [I mean the
meadowlark. Not so much the sight of Jim picking through trash.]
<BR><BR>
There was a serious push of Canada Geese this morning over “the watch.”
Mike, who lives nearby, texted to say he was getting lots of geese
migrating, too. A flock of Tundra Swans was in the mix. It was nice to
see a Tree Swallow [FOY] overhead. Ah, spring is coming!
<BR><BR>
A few hawks were moving and Puff arrived to spot the day’s first
Sharp-shinned Hawk and she was so happy to see the Meadowlark. This bird
is so sad. Those of us of a certain age, remember vast meadows; fields
loaded with this once common bird. Ah, but those same fields were ripe for
“development” into new residential communities for an ever-expanding human
population and yet another shopping mall to service them. The beautiful
Meadowlark fell victim to that and changes in farming practices to increase
food production for this same throng. Now, even where there are a few
suitable meadows, they are difficult to find. Habitat destruction is a
horrible thing. These birds are wired to return to roughly the same place
to breed. When these “same places” are permanently changed, the birds
can’t find the dwindling fragmented tolerable habitat – or each other – to
breed and voila, you have a species in serious decline. And I just “love”
the romanticized natural names the developers give these communities and
malls? “Fox Hill,” “Holly Grove,” you know, names like that. Often named
for what used to be there. What they displaced. As far as I’m concerned,
there should be a vast community called “Meadowlark Run.”
<BR><BR>
Jerry and Jim were out to help with ideas for our new water feature. It is
going to be fantastic!
<BR><BR>
We identified 40 species today. Highlights included Red-tailed Hawk,
Sharp-shinned Hawk, Tundra Swan, Killdeer, Tree Swallow, Eastern
Meadowlark, Red-breasted Nuthatch, White-crowned Sparrow, and Eastern
Towhee. New for the hawk watch season list were Eastern Meadowlark, Tundra
Swan, and Tree Swallow. [54 species for the season]
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Tundra Swan, Killdeer, Tree Swallow, Eastern Meadowlark, Red-breasted
Nuthatch, White-crowned Sparrow, and Eastern Towhee.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0): Dragonflies (0): Reptiles &
Amphibians (0): Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
----EBNT’s “Walk with Nature” ™ Program Daily Tally with our Fitbits: This
is a stationary watch, but if I stay stationary too long, I might tend to
“bulk up.” Besides, I am ever so fortunate to be walking unaided, at all!
Therefore, I keep moving (if you’ve been here, then you know that I pace
endlessly….) - my Fitbit thanks me and its part of my “Walk with Nature”
program. So, below are MY results at the watch for the day. Your totals
could all be zero, if you choose to sit and relax. You are certainly
welcome to take it easy….I simply choose not to, affording me a panoramic
view of our entire sky and a bit of exercise. So come join our “Walk with
Nature!” ™ Anyway, just for fun, here are my numbers at the site for today
(join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.94; Steps: 16,327; Floors: 10.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 40; this season: 54
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (3):” Eastern
Meadowlark, Tundra Swan, and Tree Swallow.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks mostly sunny with some background clouds, warm and
nice winds from the south. Could be good.
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm.Rain
or shine.
<earlybirdtours...> questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):