Date: 2/11/19 12:47 pm
From: Harold A. Yocum <drhal2...>
Subject: Re: OK Hummingbird Sampling
A couple suggestions as to sites.
One with lots of hummers is at Wichita Mts. NWR just north of Lawton, OK. There, especially at the Holy City ( private nonprofit ) there are many of both. Not sure if hybrids.

Another place with highly suspected hybrids is Mitch Park in Edmond, OK, That is where I live near and bird daily. We have had all 3, ruby throat , black chinned and hybrids in the park for the last several years. The park belongs to the city of Edmond. There is no naturalist employed there. The park is located in north Edmond along Covell Road on the west edge of Edmond between Santa Fe ( W) and Kelly(E).
Likely you would need the permission of the City of Edmond. Our local birders ( myself included ) would help you locate the birds. They arrive about April 1-5 annually.
Hal A. Yocum

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 11, 2019, at 1:32 PM, Elisa Henderson <ehend004...> wrote:
>
> Hello Oklahoma Birders,
>
> My name is Elisa Henderson and I am a PhD student at the University of California, Riverside. I am currently working with Dr. Chris Clark and Dr. Alan Brelsford on some hummingbird projects. I am very interested in sampling the Black-chinned/Ruby-throated hummingbird range of overlap in Oklahoma in the hopes of finding hybrids. My main interests are in using genomics to understand the extent of hybridization and using hybrid systems to investigate the underlying genetics of species diagnostic traits (such as differences in structural colors of the gorget). I am currently looking for sampling sites where both species can be found and where there is a possibility of finding hybrids. Locations where hummingbird feeders are already hung up are preferable. If anyone has information about locating hybrids or contacts for good sampling sites, I would really appreciate your input. I am hoping to make a sampling trip this year sometime in early May. My sampling process includes banding, taking blood samples by clipping a toenail, and taking standard measurements. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Best,
>
> Elisa C. Henderson
>
> --
>
> Elisa C. Henderson
> PhD Student
> Evolution, Ecology and Organismal Biology
> University of California, Riverside
> Brelsford Lab
> <ehend004...>

Join us on Facebook!