Date: 2/11/19 9:32 am
From: Bob Schutsky <info...>
Subject: Southwest Lancaster County WRS, 10 Feb 2019
Dear PABirders,

Below are the results of the Southwest Lancaster County Winter Raptor
Survey (WRS) that Nancy Schutsky and I conducted yesterday, 10 February
2019. Skies began mostly sunny and ended mostly cloudy. Air temperature
ranged from 26 to 35F. Winds began calm and reached 5 mph from the SW
by the end of the survey. Nancy and I have conducted this survey
annually beginning in 2001.

There are three known Bald Eagle nest sites on this survey route. Two
adult Bald Eagles were perched beside the Peach Bottom nest which is 0.5
miles from our home, where the survey route begins and ends. Two adults
were perched on the Muddy Run nest. Both of these nests are located on
large electrical transmission towers. We could not find a nest at or
near the Wakefield site, so it must have blown down since I last checked
in the fall of 2018, when the nest was in a sycamore tree. There was
one adult at this site yesterday and a week ago, so hopefully the pair
will re-build.
Southwest Lancaster County WRS
Nancy and Bob Schutsky
2 hours and 45 minutes total survey time
9:40am to 12:40pm, with a 15 minute break

Turkey Vulture, 275
Black Vulture, 63
Red-tailed Hawk, 19 total (14 adult, 5 age not determined)
American Kestrel, 3 total (1 male, 2 female)
Red-shouldered Hawk, 1 adult
Bald Eagle, 15 total (5 adult, 10 immature)

Average Temperature, 31F
Sky, mostly sunny to mostly cloudy
Wind, calm to SW 5 mph
Snow cover, none

Non-raptor highlights were: Wild Turkey, 2. Horned Lark, 1. Eastern
Bluebird, 9.

Yet another thoroughly enjoyable WRS!

Sincerely,
BOB & NANCY

BOB SCHUTSKY
Web Site www.birdtreks.com
--
BIRD TREKS--Quality Worldwide Birding Tours
216 Spring Lane

Join us on Facebook!