Date: 2/11/19 5:33 am
From: SHARON HENTHORN <shenthorn205...>
Subject: Neat little duck at Zoo Lake, OKC
I sat at at the entry parking area yesterday and watched a small diving duck within two feet of shore between a floating log and the shore, within fifty feet of my car.
It was a rather plain little duck with a striking malar white marking on a dull gray-black body with white wing coverts. I wouldn’t have thought there was enough depth of that water to support a diver. Best guess is a female bufflehead. It flew before I could get a photo. The reference book The Crossley Guide has four birds on that page that match the description/observation.
Also noted were three black-crowned night-herons on the zoo side in tree branches overlooking the water, left of the walking bridge.

Sharon

Sent from my iPhone

Join us on Facebook!