Date: 2/11/19 3:20 am
From: John Fussell <jofuss...>
Subject: Bar-tailed Godwit and Long-billed Curlew at east Shackleford Banks, NC
Yesterday, Suzanne Wheatcraft and I spent much of the day at east
Shackleford.

Highlights were the Bar-tailed Godwit and a Long-billed Curlew (presumably
the same one that was seen in the fall).

We saw the Long-billed on the flats next to the inlet (just north of the
"Deep Creek"--don't know the name of this tidal creek, but "Deep" is
appropriate, this creek is north of the ferry drop-off point), when the
flats were first becoming exposed at the beginning of the falling tide.

The Bar-tailed Godwit was at the eastern end of the "Hidden Flats"; we saw
it when the flats there were first becoming exposed by the falling tide.
(Marty Wall and I saw the godwit at this same site at the same tidal stage
back on 12 January).

(Strangely, although we had both Bar-tailed Godwit and Long-billed Curlew,
we had only 9 Marbled Godwits and 5 Willets for the day.)

Other highlights were a Wilson's Plover (occasional in winter here), at
least 9 Piping Plovers, a Peregrine Falcon, and an adult Great Cormorant.

The waters in the adjacent bight and inlet were relatively birdless all day,
but, looking eastward across Core Banks, hundreds of gannets could be seen
feeding just off the beach.

And, other than raptors, the only landbirds we saw all day were 2
Yellow-rumped Warblers and 1 Eastern Meadowlark.

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC

Join us on Facebook!