Date: 2/10/19 5:57 pm
From: Phil Brown <pdpbrown...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] SCBC trip to Watonville sloughs
This morning clouds were looming, rain looked likely, but a few hardy brave
souls made it out to West Marine for this morning's sloughs trip, To those
too craven to risk it I say:

Thou are pigeon livered and lack gall.

So we started well with 2 pairs of REDHEAD viewed from the parking lot and
without the need to move an inch (nice spot by David Sidle and Matthew). As
the water level was high we moved on to Lee road. When we got out by the
high school we were rewarded with LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE, WESTERN MEADOWLARKS,
AM. KESTREL, RED-SHOULDERED HAWK, SHARP-SHINNED HAWK, WHITE-TAILED KITE,
and with the aid of eagle eyed Sharon 2 distant BALD EAGLES flying towards
Harkins. We tromped around in the puddles for a bit (I felt like Paddington
Bear), and took a look t the slough but didn't find much of interest apart
from adding NORTHERN HARRIER and RED TAIL to our raptor list, so we moved
on to the end of Lee Road. There we found the continuing TROPICAL KINGBIRD
as well as the usual suspects (RUDDY DUCK, NORTHERN SHOVELLER) including
AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS. There were plenty of VIOLET-GREEN and TREE
SWALLOWS but no rarer ones for the time of year.
Lois and Sharon then made the excellent suggestion of going to San Andreas
road where we found a big flock of GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE, and on the
other side of the road we found shorebirds - LEAST SANDPIPERS, SEMIPALMATED
PLOVERS and a big flock of KILLDEER. Lois spotted a PEREGRINE FALCON to
round out the raptors.
We then made a brief stop at Care Park - BEWARE the road it is very
potholed and flooded - where we saw a small flock of BONAPARTE'S GULLS
sharing the WTP with lots of COOTS and STARLINGS.
Dave Finkel, Dave S and Larry then came with me to College Lake where we
had great views of the continuing CATTLE EGRETS, sadly most of the ducks
were too distant to ID apart from a few GREEN-WINGED TEAL and RUDDY DUCKS.
We finished at Pinto Lake where our luck finally ran out, the only addition
of note was COMMON GALLINULE.
We finished the morning with 63 species, a couple of lifers for Dave F and
a bunch of year birds for everyone else.
Thanks to all those who had the gall to come,
Phil Brown
SCBC