Date: 2/10/19 4:34 pm
From: Chris Caster <cjcaster...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Quad City birds
Three members of the Iowa City Bird Club birded the QC area today. There was not much waterfowl diversity, mostly Common Goldeneyes and Common Mergansers. Only one Lesser Scaup and two Ring-necked Ducks were seen and no Canvasbacks or Redheads. Best bird was a female Long-tailed Duck from Rapids City, IL. Lock and Dam 15 and Credit Island were a bust. Two Fox Sparrows were at the feeders above Fairmount Cemetery in Davenport along with Pine Siskin, Carolina Wren, Red-breasted Nuthatch, and many Eurasian Tree Sparrows.

We visited Lock and Dam 14 from the Illinois side around 4pm. There were hundreds of gulls either roosting on the ice near the river channel or flying below the dam. Most birds were Herring Gulls. Two adult Lesser Black-backed Gulls were present. A first year and an adult Kumlien’s Iceland Gulls were also found.

There is no gull roost on the Iowa side of Lock and Dam 14. If you visit L and D 14 from the Illinois side be warned—the drive down to the dam is very icy and we assisted stuck vehicles early in the day and watched others spinning in the parking lot through our scopes from the Iowa side. If you don’t have a four wheel drive I wouldn’t try it.

Chris Caster
Coralville