Date: 2/10/19 3:07 pm
From: Susan Herbst <mermaidsue...>
Subject: Re: [nysbirds-l] Pileated Woodpecker, Shu Swamp, Nassau County
Went over to Shu.
Heard pileated call just south of the fire lane. Headed that way.
It flew across the stream and further south into the tops of the trees. Couldn’t quite locate - it was neither calling or drumming.
Continued south on the path, watching in trees where thought it went, but apparently overshot it because suddenly, it reappeared flying south and disappeared.
I continued to listen and I walked all the way to the Frost Mill Road and Lower Francis Pond. But frankly it could have gone anywhere.There are so many possibilities in that area, including the Japanese Stroll Garden, Upper Francis Pond Preserve or any number of private properties.
Good luck if you go.
Sue Herbst

PS hope it does find your feeders Stella! That’d be exciting!

> On Feb 10, 2019, at 12:15 PM, Stella Miller <stella.miller63...> wrote:
>
> Wow. I live right next door to Shu. As I was walking to my car this morning, I heard what I thought was a pileated, drumming and calling. Saying to myself, "Dream on, baby" I dismissed my wishful thinking and continued on to the car. DOH! Fingers crossed it discovers my feeders!
>
> Stella Miller
>

> "Conservation is sometimes perceived as stopping everything cold, as holding whooping cranes in higher esteem than people. It is up to science to spread the understanding that the choice is not between wild places or people, it is between a rich or an impoverished existence for Man." Thomas Lovejoy

ARCHIVES: