Date: 2/10/19 2:26 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Southeastern NH (Blackbird flock, eagles, etc.)
Jane and I poked around southeastern NH today.  Kind of casual birding
in mid-winter, but not a whole lot of birds around.  Not that cold today
and not much snow on the ground, but the wind continued rather strong
and we didn't venture far from the car. Very little of note today, so
only a few highlights/comments.

Greater Scaup 800+ on Great Bay from Greenland.  Couldn't see any
obvious Redheads in flock

American Wigeon 11 on Great Bay.

Black Scoter - 600 in single huge flock off Hampton Harbor inlet as
estimated by Becky Suomala.  Accounted for 90% of all sea ducks on the
coast this afternoon!

Bald Eagle - 7 total with 2 from Exeter, 2 on Great Bay, 1 from
Greenland, and 1 from North Hampton and 1 that I can't remember!

Turkey Vulture - 6 total with 3 in Exeter and 3 in Stratham.

Red-tailed Hawk - At least 12, probably more than 15.  Didn't count, but
they were everywhere.

Black Guillemot - 1 off Pulpit Rocks in Rye.  Seem a bit scarce this
winter.  My first of 2019.

Common Raven - 5+ for the day with 2 soaring together in Exeter, 2
soaring together in Newfields, and 1 chasing a Red-tailed Hawk in
Greenland.

Red-winged Blackbird - 20+ in flock of blackbirds off Newington Road in
Greenland.
Common Grackle - 20+ in flock of blackbirds off Newington Road in Greenland.
Brown-headed Cowbird - 1 in flock of blackbirds off Newington Road.

Steve & Jane Mirick
Bradford, NH