Date: 2/10/19 2:24 pm
From: Samantha Scheiman <samantha.scheiman...>
Subject: Re: State meeting
Hi Sandy,

The Arkansas Audubon Society (AAS) spring convention will be held Friday,
May 3 through Sunday, May 5 at the Winthrop Rockefeller Institute atop
Petit Jean Mountain. I sent preliminary details to the ARBIRD listserv two
weeks ago and have copied and pasted those details below my signature for
your and others' convenience. I plan to create a Facebook event for the
convention this evening to help folks on social media save-the-date more
readily. The convention program is still be finalized but will be posted on
the AAS website, www.arbirds.org, once complete.

Let me know if you have any questions at all about the convention--I'm glad
to help!

Samantha Scheiman
Arkansas Audubon Society vice president
Little Rock, Ark.

* * *

Arkansas Birders,

Please mark your calendars: the Arkansas Audubon Society's spring
convention will be held May 3-5 at the Winthrop Rockefeller Institute (WRI)
atop Petit Jean Mountain.

On Friday evening, May 3, we will celebrate the life of one of our
Society's founders, Dr. Doug James, who passed away in December. Dr.
Ragupathy Kannan will give a presentation titled, "Fun, friendship, and
fine science—my 30 years with Doug James," which will be immediately
followed with an open mike session for people to share their memories.
James helped start the Arkansas Audubon Society in 1955 and the Arkansas
Audubon Society Trust in 1972 and was one of Arkansas's leading
conservationists.

On Saturday, May 4, our special guest speaker will be Benjamin Vogt, native
plant garden designer and author of the book, *A New Garden Ethic*.
Benjamin will give two talks on Saturday, May 4 on the following topics
that dovetail with the Society's Bird Friendly Yard (BFY) program:

2 p.m. - SUSTAINABLE DESIGN FOR GARDEN AND HOME
Plants aren’t just pretty decoration -- they can be thoughtfully used for a
myriad of benefits. From cooling our homes to preventing runoff into storm
drains, from cleaning the air and amending soil naturally, plants are
useful to us. We’ll explore how native plants can help us create a healthy
environment for our families and wildlife, while learning how to emulate
natural processes for less work in garden management and care.

6:30 p.m. - A NEW GARDEN ETHIC
In a time of climate change and mass extinction, how and for whom we garden
matters more than ever. This impassioned and provocative talk asks: How can
we recognize and develop empathy for other species? What role do native
plants have in opening us to the perspectives of others? What benefits
happen to our society when we advocate for the equality and freedom of a
silent majority -- pollinators, birds, spiders, and more? Through ecology,
psychology, garden design, and philosophy, we’ll explore the rich
complexity of rethinking pretty in urban and suburban landscapes.

If you would like a flyer (in PDF form) featuring Benjamin's talks to share
with your friends, email me directly. Benjamin will also be available to
sell and sign copies of his book. Additionally, the convention will feature
birding field trips, student presentations, fellowship with other wildlife
enthusiasts, a silent auction, and more! More details will follow soon.

Lastly, a word about lodging: Rooms are reserved at the WRI for the
convention ($89/night for all rooms except in the President's Lodge, where
the rooms are $99/night) and will be available for booking as soon as the
convention program is finalized and on our website, arbirds.org. However,
if you'd prefer to camp at nearby Petit Jean State Park, there is still a
good number of campsites available as of today, and there are even a few
rooms in Mather Lodge--however, I suggest booking such accommodations soon
if you prefer these alternative options, as Petit Jean State Park is very
popular.

Email me directly if you have any questions at all regarding the spring
convention.

Good Birding,

Samantha Scheiman
vice president, Arkansas Audubon Society
Little Rock, Ark.

--
“To those devoid of imagination a blank place on the map is a useless
waste; to others, the most valuable part.” -Aldo Leopold

Join us on Facebook!