Date: 2/10/19 2:15 pm
From: Andrew Core <tucsonrba...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] se AZ: Tucson - Common Poorwill
From the Tucson Audubon Society's RBA (520-629-0510 X 3 or rarebirdalert AT
tucsonaudubon.org):

Not really rare, but unusual:

Bob and Lenore Perna report a Common Pooorwill roosting at the Safeway
on Tanque Verde and Catalina Highway. It’s been there since at least 1 pm
yesterday when a neighbor spotted it.

Paul Suchanek & Brian Nicholas report that it continues today just above
the east entrance door.

It should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway - don't flush it!
Obviously this is a busy place with hundreds of people passing by without
disturbing it, but I'm sure a dedicated effort could indeed make it find
another roost.

Common Poorwill is the only bird known to spend long periods during winter
completely inactive. Many birds seem to "wake" up in mid-February and call
for a few nights when it is warm. Generally, overnight lows need to be
above 55 degrees Fahrenheit, if I remember correctly.

thanks Bob, Lenore, Paul & Brian -

Andrew Core
SEAZ RBA Compiler - Tucson, AZ
http://tucsonaudubon.org/go-birding/southeast-arizona-rare-bird-alert/