Date: 2/10/19 1:51 pm
From: jessica <jessica...> [Mendobirds] <Mendobirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Mendobirds] C Valley report
Just back from two days birding the refuges etc. on Friday and Saturday, Feb. 8 and 9.
Highlights:
* The large numbers (100 or so) of White Pelicans have moved to the Clearlake Oaks Boat Launch, just before Clark’s Island Park. Great close-up views of them, as well as various Grebe.
* The caretaker at the Maxwell Cemetery, just done making a fresh grave, told us the Vermillion Flycatcher follows him when he’s mowing - to get the insects flying away from the mower! Flycatcher was working low from gravestones, giving great views Friday noon.
* Colusa Refuge, except the viewing platform and trail, is fully closed to traffic for the near future, due to recent flooding. Two active Great Horned Owls seen at 7:30 a.m. at length from the trail platform; we wondered if there might be a nest nearby?
* Still big groups of Tundra Swan and Sandhill Cranes feeding on back roads near Gridley and Princeton respectively.
* over 100 Cedar Waxwing in a bare tree in residential area of Gridley (in high wind)
* Female Phainopepla on Wetlands Trail at Gray Lodge, calling (and responding to my whistled imitations)
* Heard 2 Y-B Magpie calling on the levee in Colusa but did not see them; no other Magpies seen this trip (though a total of at least 10 seen on my recent visit)
* Big decrease in overall migrant bird numbers since my 5-day Snow Goose Fest visit 2 weeks ago.

Join us on Facebook!