Date: 2/10/19 1:31 pm
From: Lucas Wilson <lucasgwilson...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Waterfowl in Ripley/Franklin County
I went out this afternoon from 1:15 to 4:00 to look for local waterfowl. I first stopped in Batesville at Liberty Park, where the reservoir yielded 2 Greater Scaup, 7 Redheads, and 19 Ring-Billed Gulls. At Bischoff Reservoir, there were two Canvasbacks, 2 Redheads, 2 Gadwalls, 2 Common Goldeneyes, 17 Mallards, and a solitary Canada Goose. Also of interest was a Belted Kingfisher which I heard rattling in the distance. Someone pulled up and asked me if I had seen any eagles, but unfortunately there were none. I next went to the road that crosses Bischoff Reservoir on N County Road 450 East, but there were only Mallards, a few Redheads, and a flock of Canadas that landed. A kestrel was perched on the telephone wire. Finally, I stopped at the Hansen Center Pond, where to my delight I found a Northern Pintail, 4 Cackling Geese, and 7 Ross’ Geese with many Canada and Mallards. Sunday is the best time to view the pond for any who would be interested in visiting it in the future due to it being closed, but I’m sure there would be room in the parking lot for a visitor looking to find the birds during the week.
2/10/19 Lucas Wilson

Join us on Facebook!