Date: 2/10/19 12:40 pm
From: Lars Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Black legged gull
On my phone screen the ventral shot shows pinkish feet. All extremely
grainy and not condusive to zooming. It looks like an Olympic Gull to me.
The heavy hood is typical on G-wings in early winter, some are looking
pretty white by now
Westerns never show this grundge. The dorsal view looks like a Western if
it weren't for the hood.
The feet can be covered in mud. I recall one red-billed gull on the Bay
Ocean spit. When l suggested it might be blood the photographer had one of
those light bulb moments--there was a dead sea lion just outside the
picture frame. But fleshy parts are highly variable.

On Saturday, February 9, 2019, Andrew Ferre <af4463...> wrote:

> I am looking for some assistance identifying a gull we observed this
> morning at Nehalem State Park (Tillamook Co) after last night's storm. We
> had plenty of time for observations with multiple fly-bys, despite the poor
> photos. Of note is the black legs, along with a yellow beak, white
> primaries, black wing tips with white tip and dark hood (head and neck).
> However, the hood was not as dark as it appears in the gull02 photo. I am
> very confident in the black legs observation (not a shadow, etc), as we had
> great lighting from over our shoulder and multiple looks. Any help or
> input with the ID would be greatly appreciated.
> Many thanks.
> Andy Ferre'

Join us on Facebook!