Date: 2/10/19 12:15 pm
From: Mark Greenfield <sauviemark...>
Subject: [obol] An exceptional morning of birding -including FOY urkey vulture
There are good birding days. There are great birding days. And every once in a while, there are exceptional birding days. Today was exceptional. First, as my wife and I were walking around our pond, a turkey vulture flew over - first of year. It seems unusually early, but I’ve read of other recent sitings in OBOL, so it was not a total surprise. Then, after seeing some flickers and then seeing a gadwall and a large grouping of green-winged teals on the Gilbert River, we flushed a snipe along a creek running through our property. Only my fourth or fifth siting of snipe on this property in 17 years, but third in the last six months. Soon afterwards a red-breasted sapsucker flew past us. We may see them two or three times a month if we are lucky, so we do not take them for granted. A bit later, following a coyote siting across our neighbor’s field, we curled back towards our barn and saw a flock of bushtits fly into a fir tree. They are around the area regularly, but we see them on
ly infrequently. Then came the clincher == a bright Townsend’s warbler flew into that same fir tree - maybe the third or fourth I have ever seen on this property. It made my day. (And yesterday the barred owl was back in a tree where it has been hanging out periodically over the past couple of months, But not today.)

Mark Greenfield
Gillihan Road
Sauvie Island, Oregon
<sauviemark...>