Date: 2/10/19 9:39 am
From: Robert Thorn <robthorn6...>
Subject: [Ohio-birds] Columbus-to-Shadeville,2-10: migrant waterfowl
Waterfowl were on the move south of Columbus this morning, though there was
limited open water to greet them. I checked Berliner & Scioto Grove Parks,
as well as quite a few quarry lakes, and found flocks of geese and small
groups of diving ducks and mergansers in many open water areas. Most of
the open water was on the high-and-fast Scioto River, and Berliner park had
nice flocks of Redhead, Lesser Scaup, Ring-necked Ducks, Common Goldeneye,,
Hooded & Common Mergansers, as well as a steady stream of Ring-billed
Gulls. Scioto Grove was partly flooded, so you couldn't get down to the
river in many places there, but the nearby Shadeville Quarry had a bit of
open water and more diving ducks. Most of the other quarries, including
ones on Haul Rd and Lockbourne Rd, were frozen over.