Date: 2/10/19 8:02 am
From: Mark Chao <markchao...>
Subject: [cayugabirds-l] Sapsucker Woods, Sun 2/10
On Sunday at 9:45 AM, the BARRED OWL was sleeping in the tall pine next to
the shelter by the Wilson/Severinghaus intersection in Sapsucker Woods.
This is the fifth or sixth day out of the last seven that the owl has
roosted in this tree.

In my visits this week, this owl has shown a striking inclination to sleep
through human observation and songbird mobbing. Certainly, just in terms
of roost choice from hour to hour and from day to day, this is by far the
most easily refindable Barred Owl I’ve ever known in our area. All the
same, Chris Pelkie was right to warn against excessive intrusiveness –
especially because this owl’s fidelity to the tree might indicate incipient
breeding activity nearby. I hope that the owl continues to find reason to
stay, and thus also to keep offering such fine viewing to so many of us.

Mark Chao

ARCHIVES:

http://ebird.org/content/ebird/