Date: 2/10/19 7:50 am
From: Gary Kittleson <kittlesonenvironmental...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Re: Not a bird - nutria at Pinto Lake
Nutria are not known to be present in Santa Cruz County. About 10 years
ago, I had one anectdotal nutria observation shared with me by a landowner
on the Pajaro River, upstream of Watsonville. Since then I've had the
opportunity to conduct detailed wildlife surveys at Pinto Lake, Pajaro
River, College Lake and most of the slough system and have had ZERO
observations, or reports, of nutria.

Muskrat, however, are quite common throughout all those habitats.

Beavers, are also present in Monterey County in the Salinas River system
from downstream of Lakes Nacimiento/San Antonio and in Arroyo Seco, all the
way to the lagoon. There is even one beaver that has pioneered up into
Prunedale Creek from the Lagoon, and built a dam on the creek next to 101
at Blackie Road.

Gary Kittleson
Kittleson Environmental Consulting
Santa Cruz