Date: 2/10/19 6:35 am
From: Bill Thurman <bill.masterofmusic...>
Subject: Re: Canada Goose
I would have to say to say we should really rejoice and congratulate "some
of us." If it hadn't been for those few observant people, the Giant Canada
Geese never would have been rediscovered or even cared about. The alarm
bells for the Whooping Crane never would have been rung in order to save
the whoopers from the fate of extinction. It's always been a tiny fraction
of the human race that cared enough to make a difference in saving birds
and wildlife from extinction. I sincerely wish I didn't have to say this,
but I know the human animal too well.
To all the people who "made a difference" in saving the Whooping
Crane, the GCG and others, I have nothing but praise and respect for you.

Bill Thurman

PS as one nature magazine put it, instead of killing off animals considered
to be pests "why not scale back the human enterprise?"

On Sun, Feb 10, 2019, 8:09 AM Joseph Neal <joeneal...> wrote:

> Recovery and expansion of Canada Goose populations in Arkansas is welcomed
> by some and a source of problems – real or perceived -- for others. On
> February 8, Northwest Arkansas Democrat Gazette published an article with
> details about a proposal to kill Canadas at Bentonville airport. Our
> expanding urbanism in Arkansas suits them. They like the same lakes, ponds,
> closely cut grass, golf courses and associated housing developments that we
> do. Our conversion of former prairie grasslands and wetlands to our own use
> fits them to a “T”. In 2012, Doug James wrote this column about Canadas for
> Northwest Arkansas Audubon Society Newsletter:
>

> GEESE EVERYWHERE by Doug James (2012)
>

> When pioneers reached the central US they found extensive grasslands and
> prairie wetlands, the Great Plains. This was home to big populations of
> large birds: Whooping Cranes, the largest crane, Trumpeter Swans, and the
> largest subspecies of the Canada Goose, the Giant Canada Goose. Subsequent
> conversion of the grasslands to agriculture had catastrophic adverse
> effects. Whooping Cranes were reduced to only16 before rehabilitation
> began, Trumpeter Swans disappeared except in northwestern mountains. Nine
> authors writing from 1930s to the 1960s declared the Giant Canada Goose
> extinct.
>

> Then Harold Hanson, my classmate in graduate school at the University of
> Illinois, after being hired by Illinois Natural History Survey, discovered
> in 1962 Giant Canada Geese occupying a city park in Minnesota. Later he
> found residual populations in the Dakotas and adjacent Canada. This led to
> restoration efforts across the US.
>
> Arkansas Game & Fish established a propagation site visible south of I-40
> west of Russellville. The first geese in northwestern Arkansas wore neck
> bands from that facility. The operation was so successful the need was
> discontinued.
>

> Most forms of Canada Geese migrate, but Giants stay year around. Also,
> they tolerate human disturbance more than the other subspecies. Cattle are
> grazers and so are geese, so pastures and parks are perfect. Golf courses
> provide a banquet set for geese.
>

> This reestablishment is truly a marvelous success story, bringing a bird
> from the brink of extinction to its present abundance everywhere. We should
> really rejoice in this accomplishment and congratulate ourselves!

Join us on Facebook!