Date: 2/10/19 5:49 am
From: Pat Lueders <000000224f38bbb7-dmarc-request...>
Subject: SLAS Trip Report-Clarence Cannon NWR 2/9
Four birders met me at the Clarence Cannon NWR Saturday morning to bird the refuge. It was 15’ when we arrived and didn’t get much warmer all morning. The large amount of water was frozen except for a few small puddles. Unfortunately, the road that accesses the southern part of the refuge was closed, eliminating about a 1/4 of available area for birding and possibly open marsh water. Two male Northern Harriers were hunting around the headquarters area, and long ribbons of Snow Geese flew north during the morning. The long time Bald Eagle nest on the northern end of the refuge held an adult, and a juvenile was seen in the area. Sparrows were plentiful including Song, Swamp, White-crowned and American Tree. A large flock of American Goldfinch were found feeding in a drier field.

The frozen area limited the number of species that we could find, so the day ended around noon. Thanks to the brave birders that joined me!

Pat Lueders, St Louis Audubon

Sent from my iPad
ABA Birding Code of Ethics
http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html
ASM Spring Meeting: May 3-5, 2019 at Bunker Hill Retreat near Mountain View, MO