Date: 2/9/19 5:23 pm
From: Andrew Wolfe <jawwolfe...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Birding around Salamonie Today: field sparrow, savannah sparrow, waxwings, towhees
Cold morning but lots of sun and lots of sparrows to be seen around
Salamonie. Highlights were large flocks of mixed sparrows and Cardinals at
Five Ponds, Dora Recreation Area, and Lost Bridge West Scout Camp. Was able
to locate (by sound and sight) E Towhee at both Dora and Five Ponds, and
picked up a Savannah Sparrow among the Songs and AT Sparrows at Dora. All
three spots produced WC Sparrows. There is corn left standing at Dora and 5
Ponds that attracts hoards of Cardinals and Sparrows, and the Towhees.
There was a Hermit thrush reported at Five Ponds that I was hunting for but
realized that the call of Towhee and Hermit Thrush are very similar so if
the thrush was heard only it may have been the Towhee. At Lost Bridge
West, I was rewarded with 2 Field Sparrows after looking at dozens of AT
Sparrows in a large flock in the Scout Camp. Another good spot was the
Marsh and 3 ponds near the Orchard Primitive Camp and Horse Camp. Here I
saw the RS Hawk that is a regular here, and a flock of Waxwings. My 11
checklists are summarized in the report below.

Andrew Wolfe
Andrews, IN (Huntington Co)

Number of Species 40
Number of Individuals 622