Date: 2/8/19 10:09 pm
From: Kumaran Arul <karul2...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Santa Cruz westside
Hi All,
There were (10) HOODED MERGANSERS (3 males) at Westlake Pond this afternoon, along with (1) LESSER SCAUP that has been with the Ring necked ducks and Bufflehead.
Also of note, Carol Panofsky sent me a photo of a good candidate for a “RED” FOX SPARROW (possible zaboria) she found at her house feeder off Empire Grade.
http://flic.kr/p/Sw6pu3

Other general notes have been large flocks of Robins and Cedar Waxwings flying all over the upper westside since the cold spell. And last month I had regular groups of Forster’s Terns along West Cliff Dr. and nearby areas, the first time in quite a few winters when I recall seeing them so regularly in this local area. Also there have been occasional Red necked Grebe sightings by the wharf, including a high of (3) a few weeks ago.
All of this was reported on ebird by the way, but does not qualify for the ebird rarities alerts. I personally would like to see more reports of “second tier” notables to MBB for our local interest.
good birding,
Kumaran Arul
Santa Cruz, CA