Date: 2/8/19 1:55 pm
From: Tom Edell via Groups.Io <TEdell=<aol.com...>
Subject: [slocobirding] Atascadero/Templeton
For Kevin Zimmer who is having trouble posting.

Tom Edell

Cayucos, CA

I checked Atascadero Lake and the Atascadero Wastewater Ponds yesterday
(February 7) for the first time since our recent storms. Water levels at
the lake were noticeably higher, but bird numbers were down from recent
visits. Most notable was a female Redhead that I photographed and pointed
out to a couple of other birders present. One of the two male Canvasbacks
was still present, as were a (continuing) Eared Grebe and pair of Cinnamon
Teal. I also had a couple of Tree Swallows over the lake.

The Wastewater Plant had 44 Canada Geese (much reduced in number from my
last visit), and, most notably, a male Blue-winged Teal (photographed).

Also of note: I photographed an immature Ferruginous Hawk near the
intersection of Templeton Road and Vineyard/South El Pomar on the outskirts
of Templeton, the first time I have ever seen that open-country species
within 5 miles of my house.

Our lone White-throated Sparrow continues to winter along Graves Creek,
singing from time-to-time, although it only rarely ventures into our yard to
feed with the other Zonotrichias.

Kevin Zimmer

Atascadero