Date: 2/7/19 5:31 pm
From: Yong Kong <yklitespeed...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Bit more on American Woodcock in NJ and Migration
After getting home from work today, Pilsner and Coriander (Mary’s dogs) and I took a short hike to the Atlantic City power line behind our house in anticipation of A. Woodcock flight show. Plus I had my IPA belt on.

We were not disappointed. Saw two at one point, with one chasing the other very close to each other, And all that cool sound.

Check out the link below. I now know why the mow grassland strips at the Hidden Valley WMA at Cape May.

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/news/2019/woodcockstudy.htm

I totally sucked at finding owls at unreported locations on ebird or JBirds this year or last winter. Not to brag I did OK in other years. But connecting the dots from the NJDEP, Fish and Game’s Woodcock study (link above) and the grassland mowed strips that I was so curious at Hidden Valley WMA at Cape May made me feel better. Perhaps this was well known fact among Cape May birders. I had no clue until today.

I am certain that I am in a minority that observing bird habitat is just as cool as finding those rare birds.

Yong Kong
Camden County,

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>
List help: <jerseybi-request...>