Date: 2/7/19 11:00 am
From: Dyl Pedro via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Niantic Canvasback
Following suit with the Redhead from last week, a/the hen Canvasback has now swam up into the upper Niantic River as the ice has melted, as viewed from my house on Oswegatchie Rd, with the mixed scaup flock. Although I also thought it was a drake when I viewed it a few days ago around Saunder's Point in Niantic (far and in bad lighting), up close now it's clear that it's a hen, unless it's a different bird. I didn't see the drake Redheads, but the main portion of the flock was distant and often out-of-view to my south, so could definitely be with them.
I guess this trumps the Redhead yardbird! I can only hope for a Tufted Duck now... or I'll even settle with one of these meandering Eiders or Scoters!
If you want to search for it, PM me and I can show you a (semi!) public viewing spot along Oswegatchie for the upper Niantic River where I saw it.

Dylan Pedro
Waterford