Date: 2/6/19 6:13 pm
From: Stephen Broker via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Common Raven Nest Building
I read with interest David Lawton’s post today about observing a Common Raven carrying a large stick (Farmington Canal Heritage Trail). This morning I checked the nest ledge of the West Rock Common Ravens (Woodbridge) and found that they have just begun nest-building, with four medium-sized sticks laid across the rock shelf. This ledge was first used by a pair of ravens in 2003, and nesting has taken place here or on one other nearby cliff ledge at West Rock every year since. Maturing raven nestlings tend to destroy their large stick nests over a period of days as they exercise their wings prior to fledging, requiring the parents to rebuild the nest each year. The productivity of Connecticut’s ravens is quite remarkable. At West Rock, 4 or 5 young birds fledge successfully each year.

Steve Broker
Cheshire