Date: 2/5/19 6:20 pm
From: Kevin M Doyle via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Questionable Snowy
Today while walking Stratford Point I ran into a fellow riding his bike. He asked if I've seen any big birds, not sure what he meant I mentioned that yesterday I observed a grey ghost perched in a tree adjacent to the parking lot and today perched in a tree at the entrance gate. Also a male Kestrel sitting on a pole near the parking lot also.

He then asks me have I seen the snowy owl. I have been lead to believe the owls weren't in Connecticut this season. He proceeded to inform me that there has been a snowy owl at Russian Beach for the month of January which he's seen and photographed. He described where to look but I didn't bother.

I believe I have to take his word and why would he make up a story. I mentioned how parking is tough along the beach but he told me where to park then walk.

I know that keeping locations of owls is secretive since last year it really amounted to a zoo with people charging after the Long Beach owls.

With no positive reports I'm wondering if this is just a tall tale. Any feedback would be appreciated.

The common eiders were present today along with a nice selection of common loons feeding off the area near the benches.

I was informed by another photographer I parked under the kestrel and never knew it.

Hudson River follow up. Saturday was the day to see eagles on the ice. 2 fellow photographers went Sunday. They kind of struck out. Both on land and on the ice. They were informed that the vast majority of ice is now gone today. For anyone wanting to look into Eagle Fest I believe its Saturday February 9th.

Kevin Doyle
New Milford
<Kevindoyle1969...>

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​