Date: 2/5/19 2:55 pm
From: Scott Baily <skbaily...>
Subject: [cobirds] Re: The value of COBIRDS
In the spirit of encouraging further discussion on this post, I'd like to
echo the importance of respect and objectively sharing accurate and timely
information in a venue like this. It's also valuable to have place where
you can ask questions or offer observations for discussion and comment.
There are indeed many fine and interesting examples that illustrate the
value of COBIRDS and similar discussion groups around the country. Whenever
I travel, the local equivalent of COBIRDS is a resource that I try to
locate for prior to arriving.

Dave raises an interesting point about the sense of discovery, and the
potential impact of modern communications upon that. There is no denying
that getting out to look for, and occasionally finding something unusual is
pretty great! Getting back to the value of COBIRDS, so is sharing that
information with others. So I think the two are not mutually exclusive, but
can and should be complementary. Without people taking the initiative to go
out and see what's around, there would be far less information to share
with others. I think it's up to each of us to decide how to pursue - and
hopefully advance - our knowledge and appreciation of the wondrous avian
world. Hopefully everyone can find a balance they are comfortable with!

For what it's worth, that's how I look at it. Cheers,

Scott Baily
Fort Collins