Date: 2/4/19 5:56 pm
From: Andy Wilson <awilson.gettysburg...>
Subject: Raptors Adams Co
Had a wonderful 20 mins or so at Bigham Rd (off Pumping Station Rd, Adams) this afternoon. Saw a light-morph adult Rough-legged Hawk, 2 harriers and a Short-eared Owl off in fields to east (none were close). I saw a dark-morph Rough-leg in same area last week, and I know others have seen them in the area.

More remarkable was a count of 24 Ravens. A steady stream of small groups headed north over a period of about 10 minutes. The soundscape was pretty amazing! Ravens are now regular here, but such a high count was most unexpected. I wonder whether there could be a communal roost nearby?

Please note that Bigham Rd is very narrow and doesn’t have a shoulder—so pull over as much as you can if birding here.

A stop a Lake Kay (Fairfield) produced 10 species of duck, including 2 Canvasbacks, 2 Redheads and 3 Lesser Scaup. 3 Tundra Swans were my first here.

Andy Wilson
Gettysburg College/Frederick MD

Join us on Facebook!