Date: 2/4/19 3:59 pm
From: Derb Carter <derbc...>
Subject: Bewick's Tundra and Trumpeter Swans near Conetoe NC
I went this morning to check out the Bewick's Swan that Ricky Davis found near Conetoe, NC (Con e tuh but affectionately known as Cone Toe). I quickly found the Tundra Swan flock and the Bewick's Swan with extensive yellow on the inner half of the bill. I have seen numerous Bewick's types in Europe and Asia and I think there is little doubt this is a Bewick's. It is also noticeably smaller than the average "Whistling" Tundras. Origin is of course another matter. It is not banded as a captive might be. And in a flock like this if is not unreasonable to think it arrived with the Tundras as there are several accepted records in the western US. Hard to prove however. If you look for this bird, note there are a few Tundras in the flock with fairly large yellow spots on the bill (the size of the yellow spot is variable). If you are asking yourself whether the yellow spot is large enough, it is a regular Tundra and keep looking. You will know the Bewick's if and when you see it.
While scanning I also found an adult Trumpeter Swan in the flock. I have posted photos on the CBC gallery. Nice flock to study swans. Now is there was only a Whooper ....

Derb Carter

Join us on Facebook!