Date: 2/4/19 2:53 pm
From: Andrew Wolfe <jawwolfe...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Herring or GBB Gull at Lake Claire?
Hi. I'm no gull expert but after studying my Sibley guide I'm questioning
my call that this immature gull at Lake Claire was Herring. It was
extremely large compared to the RBB and overall showed three colors:
whiter head and neck, browner wings and back, and black wing tips. Only
saw it sitting on the ice. First and second year Herring gull seems to have
a more brownish head and neck. I'll try to photo it tomorrow if it is
sill there. Given my description, is there enough to make the call either
way? Thanks.

Earlier message....

Saw my first Herring Gull on Lake Claire/Huntington Co. Of course I didn't
have my phone so no pics. See desc. below. Was trying to rule out GBB
gull, but I"m pretty sure it didn't have dark enough wings, more dark grey
speckled.

Andrew Wolfe
Huntington County, IN

Lake Claire Huntington, Huntington, Indiana, US
Feb 4, 2019 12:30 PM - 12:45 PM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments: cloudy warm ice melting on lake some open water
4 species

Canada Goose 25
Mallard 20
Ring-billed Gull 2
Herring Gull 1 50% larger than adjacent RB gull, black wing tips,
white neck and gray/black speckled wings. first year?

View this checklist online at https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S52376148

Join us on Facebook!