Date: 2/4/19 2:21 pm
Subject: Re: Congregation of Bald Eagles at Jordan Lake, NC dam
I can’t speak to the NC birds but winter fish-eating birds at places like Onondaga Lake and Lake Erie are because of gizzard shad (which are not anadromous, do not migrate to the ocean). An interesting fish with an interesting wikipedia entry, if you like that type of thing.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__en.wikipedia.org_wiki_American-5Fgizzard-5Fshad&d=DwIGaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=YLGnO093vx1V1fwgom_VJmur53USFhv2WS3CWJJVlAs&s=MyGz0v9biHyEyzkLKjmjq_JhqNraDwpmYkfC-5eEvi8&e=

Chris Hill
Conway, SC

On Feb 4, 2019, at 5:12 PM, Stacy and Natalie Barbour <carolinabirds...><mailto:<carolinabirds...>> wrote:

Migrating Shad wouldn’t make it that far as they would be stuck downstream at the Buckhorn dam on the Cape Fear River. There apparently were lots of fish of some kind present however.

Stacy Barbour
Raleigh

On Feb 4, 2019, at 12:49 PM, Paula Jeannet (via carolinabirds Mailing List) <carolinabirds...><mailto:<carolinabirds...>> wrote:

Just a silly question, probably, but do shad make the run up to the dam, or is that a geographical impossibility?
I guess I’m thinking of the other places where there are shad runs and wondering if that why the eagles are gathering...
Paula

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 12:17 PM Norman Budnitz <carolinabirds...><mailto:<carolinabirds...>> wrote:
The most recent information from Jon Bannerman, who organizes the volunteers for the Army Corps who monitor the eagles nesting at Jordan Lake, is that last year there were 19 successful nesting pairs and 30 fledged chicks. I'm not sure that that represents " the largest concentration of bald eagles in the eastern United States," but it is certainly a remarkable change from when the birds first started showing up 40 years ago.

The concentration of eagles roosting and/or hanging out in the area below the spillway just below the dam has been going on for several years. It's quite a sight to see.

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 9:32 AM Ginny Alfano <carolinabirds...><mailto:<carolinabirds...>> wrote:
Good Morning, All,
Regarding the large concentration of Bald Eagles at Jordan Lake, I have some information to shed about another large flock in the East. I'm from northern NY and the wintering Bald Eagles at Onondaga Lake in Syracuse has been nothing short of amazing. The last count over the weekend was 56 birds!! When I first moved to the Syracuse area 45 years ago, Onondaga Lake was one of the most polluted in the country, Because the major polluter, Honeywell, took the proper steps needed to decontaminate it, the lake is now incredibly clean and produces the proper conditions to sustain this large gathering of Eagles. There is a Facebook page dedicated to them. It's called the Bald Eagles of Onondaga Lake.

I spend my Winters in SC and really enjoy your listserve. Thank you for letting me brag about our Eagles in Central NY!

Good Birding,

Ginny Alfano
Cleveland, NY

"I think that I cannot preserve my health and spirits, unless I spend four hours a day at least — and it is commonly more than that — sauntering through the woods and over the hills and fields, absolutely free from all worldly engagements. "
Henry David Thoreau

On Sun, Feb 3, 2019 at 10:11 PM Hal Broadfoot <carolinabirds...><mailto:<carolinabirds...>> wrote:
In year's past, I've seen many more at the fish farms and fields of Pactolus and Roper.

Hal Broadfoot

On Sun, Feb 3, 2019, 5:47 PM Rob G <carolinabirds...><mailto:<carolinabirds...> wrote:
Dozens of B. Eagles make Jordan Lake their home; not sure how unusual 13 at one of their favorite spots south of the dam is (though surely a wonderful sight), but in googling around I stumbled on one real estate site stating that:
“Jordan Lake supports the largest concentration of bald eagles in the eastern United States” -- that did surprise me; can someone confirm if it's accurate?
And while at it, are there any statistics yet on nesting pairs in Triangle this year?

-- Rob Gluck.... Carrboro, NC.....