Date: 2/4/19 12:05 pm
From: Lois Goldfrank <loisg...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Fun in Watsonville
Having missed them before, at about 9 this morning Bobbie Mayer and I were delighted to have the 4 Cattle Egrets surprise us by landing on the street in front of us, directly in between our parked car and a front loader . We watched for about 15 minutes as they went about their business, at first all 4 sticking together , then one venturing off on its own path for a while before rejoining the group.

Not having a lot of time, we decided just to do a quick check for Geese before heading home. On Beach St, about halfway to Shell Rd., we screeched to a stop as a Bald Eagle flew low across the field on our right., with another smaller bird flying alongside..The smaller bird turned out to be a Peregrine Falcon which then landed as the Eagle kept on flying far into the distance. It was a confusing scene: a flock of Canada Geese also flew past and then we noticed 40 White-fronted Geese,circling as if trying to decide where to land. Everything was happening so fast that we’re not really sure if the Eagle was chasing the Peregrine or vice versa. Don’t know what happened to the Peregrine,but later we watched the Bald Eagle fly back across Beach St and disappear. The geese never landed.

Lois Goldfrank
Bobbie Mayer