Date: 2/4/19 12:06 pm
From: Robert Mulvihill <robert.mulvihill...>
Subject: WRS, Pittsburgh north to Hartstown
A busload of us traveled about 110 miles from the National Aviary north
toward Pymatuning on Saturday morning. The weather was perfect! Along the
way we counted 62 raptors of five species:

53 Red-tailed Hawk
3 Red-shouldered Hawk
1 Cooper's Hawk
1 American Kestrel (male)
4 Bald Eagle (2 ad.; 2 imm.)

A single Turkey Vulture was seen on the return trip to Pittsburgh. The 53
RTHAs was a new high count for that species. The best result for this
route was 69 birds of eight species a year ago, on Feb. 3, 2018. That year
we had Rough-legged Hawk, Northern Harrier, and Northern Shrike.

I will be re-running the route for another busload of birders on Thursday.

Robert S. Mulvihill
Ornithologist
National Aviary
700 Arch Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
412-258-1148
<Robert.mulvihill...> <Robert.mulvihill...>

*The National Aviary <http://www.aviary.org> works to inspire respect for
nature through an appreciation of birds.*

Join us on Facebook!