Date: 2/4/19 7:49 am
From: Chip Clouse <chip.clouse...>
Subject: Re: [cobirds] RE: How to find your true Colorado bird list total
Andy et al,
It has always been my understanding that the ABA only accepts species to
their overall list that have been accepted by state bird record committees
as having arrived unassisted by man or, in the case of established exotics,
been there for multiple generations, is successfully breeding AND has had a
paper published in a peer-reviewed journal documenting that. As Joe said,
it would lead to a bird being countable only in those states where
accepted. For years, Muscovy Duck was only countable in the Rio Grande
Valley until FL (and maybe other states) added Muscovy to their State List.
Now you can count Muscovies seen on a golf course in Boca (though it feels
like cheating...)
Certain birds like Budgy and Yellow-chevroned Parakeet, once ABA countable
- but only in FL - have been removed from the ABA list as they are not
thriving or "established" anymore. I don't count the Budgy I saw free
flying by the Denver Botanic Gardens 15 years ago, OR the one I saw in Dade
county, FL 10 years ago, as the only countable ones were around Hermosa
Beach north of Tampa when Budgy was still on the ABA list.

Good birding,
Chip Clouse
Golden