Date: 2/3/19 8:04 pm
From: John Winebrenner <in-bird-l...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Northern county birds
   Lisa and I spent a few hours birding the three counties north of us (Dekalb, Lagrange, and Steuben) this afternoon, taking advantage of the warmer weather. It ended up to be a good day for raptors, with a total of seven species for the day. Many of the Red-tails that we saw were paired up. We got our first Turkey Vulture of the year just south of Kendalville, and FINALLY got the Golden Eagle at Pigeon River that had been reported so many times. It was soaring near the Curtis Creek Fish Hatchery, and heading towards the Northeast.   The Mongo Millpond held a couple Tundra Swans, some Common Goldeneyes, and an adult Bald Eagle, and our other Bald Eagle was an immature bird flying over the Waterfowl Resting Area. We also saw quite a few Kestrels throughout the day with a total of probably a dozen birds. Another nice surprise was a nice adult Red-shouldered Hawk along 300N, just west of Mongo.   The following is a list of birds seen at Pigeon River only. I really didn't keep an exact count the rest of the day.
Canada Goose  50
Mute Swan  9
Tundra Swan  2    Mongo Millpond
Mallard  21
Common Goldeneye  6
Wild Turkey  11
Mourning Dove  17
Golden Eagle  1    Adult, flying near Curtis Creek Fish Hatchery
Cooper's Hawk  1
Bald Eagle  2    1 Adult at Mongo Millpond, and 1 Immature at the Waterfowl Resting Area
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  6
American Kestrel  2
Blue Jay  21