Date: 2/3/19 5:04 pm
Subject: NC 42 Swan
Folks I went back to look for the interesting swan along N.C. 42 west of Conetoe this morning. Found it and obtained some pitiful photos (cell phone through the scope at 60x!). Pics do show the extent and shape of the yellow on the bill. Also could tell that there were no leg bands. Also noted that the bird was slightly smaller than the other Tundras. I never saw this bird interact with any others, but sometimes a Tundra would chase it out of its “space”.
So now I am wondering how many “Bewick’s” Swans have been found in N.C. and the east. Historically Bewick’s reported have been considered escaped wandering individuals. Whatever this bird is, it is a pretty neat bird!

Later, Ricky

Ricky Davis
Rocky Mount, NC

Sent from my iPhone