Date: 2/3/19 4:55 pm
From: Jamie Meyers via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] New London county waterfowl
Went out in search of the Redhead recently reported from the Niantic River
this afternoon. Did not see it from the Laurel Street park, though there
was a decent amount of duck activity visible from there. I was able to
locate a larger scaup flock not far north of there, which contained 4 drake
Redheads, a drake Canvasback and a Ruddy Duck, among others that have been
recently been reported.

Not much activity at Harkness save for a single Common Eider. The King
Eider drake was showing well at Ocean Beach park along with an impressive
number of Commons and a single Great Cormorant. I was searching for Purple
Sandpiper, a species I've yet to encounter in CT this year, but no luck
there. Who'd have guessed a King Eider would be easier to find? I did not
see the female.

Extralimitally, I spent the morning in east central Massachusetts and had
two small flocks of Common Redpolls. I have encountered this species a few
times now in MA and RI since early December but not yet in CT this winter.
One bird I found in December was in Granville, MA, not far from the
border. I thought they might be coming down. Not yet anyway!

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT