Date: 2/3/19 12:37 pm
From: O Connell, Tim <tim.oconnell...>
Subject: Payne County Audubon Society – February 2019 announcements (lots of 'em)
Dear Friends and Supporters of the Payne County Audubon Society,

I. I begin today with an important announcement that our February program has been postponed to March. Susan Walker’s Southeastern Arizona Birding Adventure presentation has been rescheduled for Thursday MARCH 7th, 7:00 pm at the Stillwater Public Library: https://paynecountyaudubonsociety.com/events-calendar-2/.

II. Next we’ve got multiple field trip opportunities for you in February, combining official PCAS trips and local bird walks for the OSU Ornithology class. All are free and open to the public:

1. Tuesday, 5 Feb., 4:00 pm: OSU North Fields, Stillwater, OK
2. Saturday, 16 Feb., 2:00 pm: Botanic Garden at OSU, Stillwater, OK
3. Sunday, 17 Feb: 1:00 pm, Couch Park. Photographing Birds, with Jim Cowley. Jim will lead this field demonstration on basic bird photography. Meet at Couch Park on 12th St. in Stillwater, in the parking lot on the north side of 12th (which is technically Hoyt Grove Park). On this trip we hope for plenty of ducks and hawks, or most any bird that will pose for birders who want to try their hand at wildlife photography. A camera is not strictly necessary, but participants should know the pace will be more stop than go on this outing. We will begin at Couch Park but make our way to the west side of Boomer Lake at some point. Participants will be encouraged to submit their best shots of the day for posting on the club website and Facebook page. Leader: Jim Cowley; <cowunit...><mailto:<cowunit...>, 405-269-1929.
4. Sunday, 24 Feb., 4:00 pm: Babcock Park, Stillwater, OK

You can always find details on the latest field trips right here: https://paynecountyaudubonsociety.com/whats-new/

III. Note that our trips on the 16th–17th will coincide with the 22nd Annual Great Backyard Bird Count, 15–18 February 2019. Sign up, go birding, share your observations! http://gbbc.birdcount.org/get-started/

IV. Finally, there’s an extra opportunity this month to learn about an important conservation issue facing birds: window collisions. Join Yours Truly for OSU’s Science Cafe’ on Tuesday, 12 February at 6:30 pm in the Peggy V. Helmerich Browsing Room in OSU’s Edmond Low Library: http://sciencecafeosu.okstate.edu/. I’ll present Glass Casualties: Can wild birds survive our modern love affair with windows?

Please come on out for one or all of these events! With cardinals singing and woodcocks sky-dancing, spring is just around the corner here in central Oklahoma.
~Tim O’Connell
PCAS President

Join us on Facebook!