Date: 2/3/19 6:44 am
From: Maeve Kim <maevulus...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] crows - American and fish - Colchester
Our local crows happily eat stale bread, popcorn, crackers, etc. They also root through the compost. We’ve watched them fly away with oddities like chunks of frozen solidified oatmeal and the hardened ends of Swiss cheese. They also forage under the bird feeders picking up individual seeds (which always looks comical, the big bills selecting one seed at a time). We hope we’re providing them with a balanced diet! (Realistically, of course, these omnivores usually can find what they need in nature. We’re just supplementing their regular diet so we can have the pleasure of watching them.)
Maeve Kim
Jericho Center

> On Feb 3, 2019, at 9:36 AM, Janet Warren <jwarren...> wrote:
>
> For the last few years we have put donuts out for “our” three crows. We now have as many as 8 showing up. Recently, when they have finished the donuts, they have been eating bird seed (we scatter bird seed on the ground). Could that mean that they are starving? We tried putting cracked corn out for them, and they weren’t at all interested in it. We were thinking of putting some dried dog or cat food out . Does any body know whether we should moisten it first?
> Janet Warren
> Cornwall
>> On Feb 2, 2019, at 3:22 PM, Mike Sargent <msargent...> wrote:
>>
>> For those of you who are still interested in large numbers of crows: Yesterday morning I walked along the Saint Michael's College nature trail in Colchester. At the garbage disposal piles at the west end, I came upon hundreds of crows, as well as hundreds of starlings. They were all making quite a racket. I heard a few fish crows amid the cacophony. For a few minutes, the darkest red-tailed hawk I've ever seen soared high above, briefly attracting only one minimally-aggressive crow.

Join us on Facebook!