Date: 2/2/19 4:20 pm
From: Peter Pyle <ppyle...>
Subject: Re: [SFBirds] Black-legged Kittiwake at Cliff House (2 Feb)
Thanks Joe and Al -

You are probably correct. All of my seabird
reference books are boxed up at the moment so all
I had was on-line images. There are some of
young and winter adult RLKI that appear to show
dark tail tips and/or hind collars:

https://www.birds-of-north-america.net/images/Red-legged_Kittiwake-12.jpg
http://orientalbirdimages.org/images/data/redlegged_2.jpg
https://www.naturepl.com/cache/pcache/08135133.jpg

but at least the dark-tipped tails are probably
mis-identified BLKIs (e.g., 3rd photo above) as I
recall this field mark now that you mention it.

Hard to explain this as oiling, especially the
primary coverts, but perhaps this is what it is.

Peter

-=-=-
Group Owner: SFBirds+<owner...>

Join us on Facebook!