Date: 2/2/19 2:54 pm
From: Kevin M Doyle via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Hudson River eagles
Saturday 2-2-19

A follow up to my last post. Having had focus issues with my 1.4 TC and nearly 1000 captures worthless I needed to make sure that was the problem and not my technique. So I rolled over this morning. Day started slow but some interesting captures.  We watched an adult snag a fish away from a group of gulls then devour the head of the fish on a low branch maybe 25 feet up. The eagle dropped the tail with a good portion on the body attached roughly 9 inches in length. I guess no fat there. Seeing the eyes of the fish was cool as it went down.

But enough chitchat. Finally today the ice did its thing. For maybe an hour & half it was a non stop parade of eagles doing what eagles do on the ice flows steal from each other and hop around. Only guessing there were in excess of 75 -100 eagles many flows with 10 -15 eagles.

The tide was right flowing south to some degree but a steady south SW wind was pushing the flows towards shore. I think this is as close as I've seen them in 10 years doing this.

No telling what Sunday has in store for me going to look for ducks. It might be the last day for any significant ice with temps reaching 50 and higher next week. Also the river sees about an 8 foot tide and there was far more open water today than the past 2 days.

As we know it's all about luck and today after 10 years I got lucky all because a 1.4 TC failed.

Kevin Doyle
New Milford CT
<Kevindoyle1969...>

⁣Sent from BlueMail ​