Date: 2/2/19 4:45 am
From: Dave Provencher via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] COA CT Big January, birding distribution
Thanks to Chris and COA for the CT Big January tally and hats! This year I decided to do a big January for the first time in a long time, despite being out of state in North Carolina for a bit. But working full time still (and being burned out many years ago on entire state big anythings) I would only focus on my home county, New London. That got me wondering about what the distribution of birding effort across Connecticut is these days. Here is what I found out. I used data from eBird and admittedly not everyone uses eBird, however I believe the percentage of active birders who do is relatively consistent across the eight counties. There may be a slightly lower percentage who use it in the northeast, but that is just my gut feeling and not based on statistical evidence.

Number of checklists submitted to eBird for CT in January: 6,532
Percent from Fairfield County = 28.7%
Percent from New Haven County = 20.4%
Percent from Hartford County = 16.9%
Percent from New London County = 12.2%